East Chinnock Village History
- The origin of the name "Chinnock" is uncertain. There is a link with the pre Saxon name "Chunniock" which is possibly an old Celtic description of the natural pastures of the district.
- According to Mills, it may be a derivative of Old English cinu "deep valley", or possibly from an old hill name of Celtic origin.
- The name appears as "Ciniock" in the Domesday Book which is a derivative of "Cyne" and "Ac" meaning Royal Oak.
- Records go back to the year 950 describing East Chinnock as a thriving community with a mill.
St Mary's Church
The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin can be found to the east of the village beside the A30
This Victorian Ham stone building was once the village school
The “New” school of 1842 in Carters Lane
from East Chinnock in the 1840s
Newspaper clippings from the Western Gazette
East Chinnock Village Echoes
Mrs David from
around with a jackdaw
on her shoulder