Having recently taken over the Crewkerne Rural Beat from Dave Lewis, I have spent the last few weeks reacquainting myself with the area, making contact with Parish Councils, calling into local schools, businesses and coffee mornings. I am keen to meet as many of you as possible to find out any issues or concerns you may have.
Luckily crime is relatively low in our area, however in the run up to Christmas it is worth reminding everyone of a few tips to try and deter the opportunist criminal.
Top security tips
• A well-lit home gives the impression someone is in
• Use timer switches to turn lights on when you are out
• Save energy and money with low-energy light bulbs
• Lock windows and doors and keep gates and side entrances well secured
• Don’t leave car keys or valuables near windows, doors or letterboxes, where burglars can reach through to steal them
• Invest in external lighting
We urge you to property mark your valuables and make the details viewable to the police by registering them on
You can register your belongings for free, improving the chance of getting them back if they are lost or stolen.
If you suspect you are being burgled, you must call 999 straight away and wait in a safe place for help to arrive.
Do not enter your property if there is a chance the suspect is still inside.