The feoffees is the village poor lands Charity which owns the Village Hall and Old School House as well as a field at the bottom of the village, currently leased to the Seifrieds of Broad Lane.
The committee has a representation from the Church and Parish council as well as some independent worthies and monies are to be used for the benefit of the villagers of East Chinnock. We are open to applications in case of hardship or anyone needing funds for extraordinary purposes. We are responsible for the upkeep of the village hall and Old school house and so may not always have large sums to use.
Trustees of the East Chinnock Poors Land Charity, Registered Number 235824.
Chairman: Dr John P Cox, The Warren, Weston St, East Chinnock, Yeovil BA22 9EQ - 01935 863304
Secretary: Jane Lock of Keymer, Barrows Hill - 01935 863899
It is possible to trace the history of The Charity from late Tudor times. The earliest document, or Indenture, held is dated 1663 and itself relates to a previous Indenture made in 1627 and also refers to an even earlier agreement. Mention is made of “Charity Lands in East Chinnock” in the records of Somerset Quarter Sessions in the reign of James 1st when complaint was made in 1608 that villagers had not been paid the monies belonging to the Poor for five years, which means that the Charity was already in existence and well known in 1603.
Maintenance of the school house (to let out.)
Maintenance of the village hall (for village use.)
Distribute christmas hampers to any village resident who has spent time in hospital over the last 12 months.
"Towards the relief and maintenance of the poor aged and impotent people, orphans and fatherless children of the parish of east chinnock and towards the maintenance of a school and poor scholars and the amendment of highways, bridges, causeways and water courses within the parish of east chinnock; for and towards the maintenance for the kings parliament and such other good purposes and uses as the trstees in their discretion should think fit and convenient."